WHAT IS THE BIG FLASH?
The Big Flash is a 3 day festival of climbing & competition based around The Flash Championship – one of the biggest bouldering competitions in the UK. This year it will take place over the weekend of the 13th – 15th of October 2017, and in addition to The Flash Championship, it will feature:
- A special round of our popular ‘NuKids’ Competition. It’s our super popular climbing competition for novice and intermediate climbers of all ages, climbing up to 6b/V4 – ish
- *New for 2017* Zlag Board Contest
- Offering a range of other climbing and non-climbing activities to try for FREE*
- Raising lots of money for Climbers Against Cancer and The East Anglian Air Ambulance!
This is our fifth annual festival (I know! Where did it go!?) and we’re extremely proud of how it has grown and the reputation it has. The ‘big guns’ regard it as one of the top three bouldering competitions in the country, and the festival itself is arguably the biggest on the calendar.
WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING OVER THE WEEKEND?
In addition to the other climbing related competitions, there will be a whole timetable of climbing and non-climbing activities available for free throughout the entire weekend, including:
- Boot Demo from Tenaya
- Masterclasses and Coaching
- Taster Sessions for Adults and Juniors
- Bouldering Inductions
All competitions/activities/climbing sessions/consultations etc. are FREE, all we ask is that you donate appropriate monies for each activity you take part in, or alternatively, make one BIG donation for the whole weekend. Together, we’re hoping to raise a large sum of money for the fantastic Climbers Against Cancer and The East Anglian Air Ambulance and exceed the £4380 we raised in 2016!
To book these awesome free events just use the promo code FLASH17 (CODE ONLY VALID ON EVENTS BOOKED TAKING PLACE BETWEEN 13th AND 15TH OF OCTOBER) when booking. A helpful calendar with all the events is below!
OTHER ‘NEED TO KNOW’ STUFF
- Normal Centre rules and conditions of use apply e.g. all climbers (or people taking part in climbing activities) must complete appropriate registration.
- Non-Climbers are welcome to come along, watch the climbing competitions and get involved in
the non-climbing activities – or maybe book a free taster or induction and #GetClimbing
- Any children U16 will need to be CLOSELY supervised at all times.
- Any climbers U18 will need to be supervised by an appropriate adult unless they have achieved their Green Card, or completed competition registration.
- If you’re coming to Norwich from afar and making a weekend of it, you need to know we’re really close to ‘The Broads’ and the North Norfolk Coast, which has loads of great beaches, walks and pubs with great food! If you want any recommendations, drop us a line.
- Whether you come alone, with friends, your partner, or your family, you will be all very welcome!
WHY IS IT FREE?
The sponsorship we receive from our amazing partners (mostly) covers the competition prize fund and live streaming costs, everything else is on us. In return, we want you to stick your hands in your pockets and help us raise a sh!t load of cash for our chosen charities or good causes.
Whilst this makes us look good, we can’t take all the credit for this approach. We are just following the example set by The Climbing Works in Sheffield, who for a number of years, have held an event called The Climbing Works International Festival (CWIF) which is THE biggest bouldering competition in the UK. They have used their event to raise tens of thousands of pounds for charity and this is something we feel fits in with the Highball ethos. It is about giving something back, both to our customers – the local climbing community – and to worthwhile causes, whist putting on a mega showcase competition in the process.
We can’t believe The Big Flash has become such a beast. Who’d have thought a little wall in Norwich could create and host a climbing festival which is mentioned in the same breath as the mighty CWIF. We feel blessed our customers (from near and far), Junior and Senior GB team members, route setters, and our event sponsors and partners have supported the event from day one. We’re psyched to see where the next 5 years will take it…
We hope you enjoy it; let the games commence!
Mike and the Crew
THE BIG FLASH 16 LIVE REPLAY
Become A Friend Of Highball
You can support us and become ‘A Friend Of Highball’ for as little as £100 a year for a small business. Get your brand and logo visible to the masses this weekend and throughout the year!
Please click here for more information.