The Auto Belay Induction is aimed at existing customers who have registered for unsupervised ‘bouldering only’ and who would like to take the first step into climbing the higher climbing walls by using the Auto Belay equipment. It’s also ideal for those who have registered for unsupervised climbing but, who have not used an auto belay before.
AIMS OF THE SESSION:
- To learn how to identify and correctly fit 2 types of popular harness; one piece and two piece
- To learn how the auto belays work and how to use them safely
- To learn how to use a twist lock karabiner
- Tips for supervising others
- Answer any questions you may have
WHO’S IT FOR:
- Adults who have registered for Unsupervised Bouldering or,
- Adults who have registered for Unsupervised Climbing and have never used Auto Belays
- Junior climbers aged 14+ who have achieved their Bouldering/Climbing Greencard. Note: this requires an additional sign off by a parent/guardian.
At the end of the session you should feel confident in using climbing harnesses and auto belays safely.
DO I NEED ANY PREVIOUS CLIMBING EXPERIENCE
Yes, you will need to have previously registered with Highball for unsupervised bouldering or unsupervised climbing.
HOW MANY CLIMBS WILL I GET?
There will be some climbing to help you get used to descending when using an auto belay, but the main focus of the 30 minute session is to learn how to correctly fit a climbing harness, connect a twist lock karabiner to your harness, and using an auto belay unit safely.
WILL I GET TO THE TOP?
Yes, but then you’ll have to let go! Don’t scream!
WHAT IS THE INSTRUCTOR / CLIMBER RATIO
We have a maximum working ratio of 1 to 9, however, most of our induction sessions operate on a 1 to 6.
WHAT’S NEXT AFTER AN AUTOBELAY INDUCTION?
if me or my children want to progress from using auto belays to using ropes and other safety equipment to keep us safe on the higher climbing walls?
For adults, we’d recommend the intro to climbing course. For juniors we’d recommend our Climbing Clubs or Youth Academy.
CAN I CLIMB WITH MY CHILDREN?
Once you have completed an auto belay induction, you will be able to supervise up to 2 guests over the age of 8, or 1 guest if aged under 8. More info on supervising guests.