Mike Surtees (Managing Director)
Youth Squad is for super psyched young people who aspire to become high performing climbers. The focus of the squad isn’t solely on competition climbing; the skills, techniques, tactics and training methods we share, will apply to any young climber wanting to improving their indoor, outdoor or competition performance.
- Support young climbers to achieve their climbing goals
- Create independent climbers and competitors
- Promote the Highball way – ‘For Fun, For Fitness; For Life’ and ‘Never Stand Still’
- Give exposure to our squad partners
- Inspire our Squad Members to continue climbing into adulthood and enjoy a life time of participation from the sport
- Year round weekly training sessions
- Structured group training programs with increasing personalisation and periodisation as the athlete develops
- Unlimited entry to Highball Climbing Centre. Under 18’s will need parental supervision unless they have achieved their Green Card (age 14+)
- Additional workshops and training sessions from national coaches and Squad Partners
- Full details can be found in the Information Pack
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION:
Selection for Youth Squad takes place via ‘Recruitment Days’. These will normally take place twice per year and are open to young climbers who meet the following criteria (For 2017-18):
- Born 1999 to 2006
- Climbing for at least 6 months
- Achieved at least NICAS / NIBAS level 3, or can demonstrate comparable knowledge, ability and behaviour
- Committed to climbing at least 2 times a week
- Has entered at least 2 local or regional competitions
- Can commit to an ongoing program for minimum 3 months
- Focused on their own development and supports their team mates
- Read through the Information Pack with a parent/guardian
- If you feel you meet the criteria and want to apply, book your space on the recruitment day
- Download and complete the application form
- Hand in your application to Reception before the recruitment day
- Turn up on the day and be ready!
SQUAD MEMBERSHIP SUBSCRIPTIONS
“We want the Highball Youth Squad to be a high quality, bespoke training and coaching program for talented young climbers. Our ambition is to operate Youth Squad on a ‘non-profit’ basis and progressively subsidise talented young athletes who show the focus and commitment required to achieve their goals” – Mike Surtees (Director)
The Youth Squad has 4 progressive membership tiers, Foundation, Development, Performance and Competition.
PRICES FOR 2017-18
|£90 (£20.77 /week)||£80 (£18.46 /week)||£70 (£16.15 /week)||£60 (£13.84 /week)|
|3 Months||6 Months||12 Months||12 Months+|
Discounts are available for new recruits, additional siblings and families with a low income.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
We have taken an inclusive approach to membership subscriptions, steering away from having optional extras where possible. This will ensure maximum participation in all our training activities and make it a lot easier for us to plan and budget for longer term training plans and activities.
The key inclusions are:
- Weekly training sessions
- Junior V12 Membership
- Additional training and coaching workshops
- Coached competition trips
Full details of all inclusions can be found in the Information Pack.