WHAT IS THE BIG FLASH?
The Big Flash is a 3 day festival of climbing & competition based around The Flash Championship; a two day ‘world cup style’ bouldering competition. It’s one of the biggest events on the UK competition calendar and to date, it has raised almost £20,000 for various charities and good causes.
This year, we will be supporting Climbers Against Cancer and the fantastic new organisation, C/A/S/M (Climb Alongside Suicide & Mental Health).
In addition to The Flash Championship, the festival features:
- A special round of our popular ‘NuKids’ Competition (Friday PM). Nukids is our super popular climbing competition for new, novice and intermediate climbers of all ages, climbing up to 6b/V4 – ish
- Zlag Board Contest
- Offering a range of other climbing and non-climbing activities, including taster sessions &, bouldering inductions, with 100% of proceeds going into the Flash Fund.
This is our sixth annual festival and we’re extremely proud of how it has grown and the reputation it now has. The ‘big guns’ regard it as one of the top three bouldering competitions in the country, and the event itself is arguably the biggest on the calendar.
Despite the event costs increasing year on year, Highball continues to organise this event ‘for free’. We do receive some support through sponsorship which helps towards the prize fund and online streaming but, the rest is on us. If you can dig deep and help us raise as much money as possible, we’d really appreciate it.
This year, we will be taking a slightly different approach to ‘bucket donations’ and ask everyone to pay £10 online when booking your place – 100% will go into to our Flash Fund. If you wish to donate more there will still be buckets available across the weekend to do so.
WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING OVER THE WEEKEND?
In addition to the competitions, there will be a whole timetable of climbing and non-climbing activities available across the entire weekend, including:
- Boot Demo from Tenaya
- Masterclasses and Coaching
- Taster Sessions* for Adults and Juniors
- Bouldering Inductions*
You can reserve your place on any climbing activity by booking online for just £10, which will go into the Festival Fund. Alternatively, come to reception make one BIG donation for the whole weekend, and we’ll book you onto anything you want…
Together, we’re hoping to raise a large sum of money for the fantastic Climbers Against Cancer and C/A/S/M, and smash all our previous records!
*To book these activities just use the promo code FLASH18 (CODE ONLY VALID ON EVENTS BOOKED TAKING PLACE BETWEEN 12th AND 14TH OF OCTOBER) when booking.
A helpful calendar with all the events will appear below from 1 October 2018
OTHER ‘NEED TO KNOW’ STUFF
- Normal Centre rules and conditions of use apply e.g. all climbers (or people taking part in climbing activities) must complete appropriate registration.
- Non-Climbers are welcome to come along, watch the climbing competitions and get involved in
the non-climbing activities – or maybe book a free taster or induction and #GetClimbing
- Any children U16 will need to be CLOSELY supervised at all times.
- Any climbers U18 will need to be supervised by an appropriate adult unless they have achieved their Green Card, or completed competition registration.
- If you’re coming to Norwich from afar and making a weekend of it, you need to know we’re really close to ‘The Broads’ and the North Norfolk Coast, which has loads of great beaches, walks and pubs with great food! If you want any recommendations, drop us a line.
- Whether you come alone, with friends, your partner, or your family, you will be all very welcome!
WHY IS IT A FUND RAISER?
The sponsorship we receive from our amazing partners (mostly) covers the competition prize fund and live streaming costs, everything else is on us. In return, we want you to stick your hands in your pockets and help us raise a sh!t load of cash for our chosen charities or good causes.
Whilst this makes us look good, we can’t take all the credit for this approach. We are just following the example set by The Climbing Works in Sheffield, who for a number of years, have held an event called The Climbing Works International Festival (CWIF) which is THE biggest bouldering competition in the UK. They have used their event to raise tens of thousands of pounds for charity and this is something we feel fits in with the Highball ethos. It is about giving something back, both to our customers – the local climbing community – and to worthwhile causes, whist putting on a mega showcase competition in the process.
We can’t believe The Big Flash has become such a beast. Who’d have thought a little wall in Norwich could create and host a climbing festival which is mentioned in the same breath as the mighty CWIF. We feel blessed our customers (from near and far), Junior and Senior GB team members, route setters, and our event sponsors and partners have supported the event from day one. We’re psyched to see where the next 5 years will take it…
We hope you enjoy it; let the games commence!
Mike and the Crew
Replay of The Big Flash 2017!
Become A Friend Of Highball
You can support us and become ‘A Friend Of Highball’ for as little as £100 a year for a small business. Get your brand and logo visible to the masses this weekend and throughout the year!
Please click here for more information.